Freitag, 15. Juli 2016

mobile, GPS and maps



 
Persian Empire 500 B.C.
 



For Iran there are only three maps available: Reise Know-How with a scale of 1:1,5 Mio., Freytag & Berndt with the same scale. Or Gizi-Map with 1:2 Mio., which of course is totally inappropriate for cycling.

Orux and Locus have a lot of very good topographical maps for downloading, which you can use offline after you have downloaded it first. Unfortunately Apple has nothing to offer for Iran. That´s why I can not use the iphone, which a dear colleague of mine has given me as a present.

But since I have ever so nice colleagues, who have to listen to my stories and problems about the trip all the time, one of them gave me her old Android phone, a Xperia Z1. Orux and Locus just work for Android phones. I already downloaded the map for Iran and Oman. You can zoom in to the smallest path and you also can see the height lines. 

With GPS you can track routes, see the height profile you accomplished, the kilometers you´ve done and you can also view your current location. You can set waypoints and steer towards them.

I also bought a handle bar mount for the smartphone.

Does anyone know the App "GeoZilla"? It´s a location-App, which Martin and me have on our smartphones now. With this App he can see where I am. Since I will not have mobile data roaming in Iran, of course that only works when I have WLAN.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen